Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Accessibility and Accountability


As someone who lives less than 10 minutes from my business office, I was overwhelmed early this morning by the sheer volume of Ward 1 residents making their way to the GO station or to the 401 to get to work.

It takes an hour from the Ajax GO station to downtown, and that commute is even longer for residents working in Brampton, Mississauga or destinations not serviced by GO train.

Two things came to mind:

Eighty percent of Ajacians commute to work. There is an immediate need for high-paying jobs in our community. We need to attract new business and industry here. And we can do that if our Town Council stops paying lip service to this issue and votes to make it happen, using tax holidays as incentives. It is a simple cost of doing business and the long-term dividends to Ajax would be worth it.

Secondly, if elected, I was wondering how I could manage a full-time job and a part-time job as a Town Councillor – a job that has full-time responsibilities – if my day job was a two-hour commute to and from Ajax.

Because my commute is only 10 minutes from home, I shall be available and accountable to Ward 1 electors on a full-time basis.


No comments:

Post a Comment